CYCLE RIGHT is the National Standard for Cycle Training and provides practical cycle safety and skills training to promote competent and confident cyclists.
Crank + Cog provide fully qualified cycling skills instructors under the Cycle Right programme. This is a National Cycle Training Standard administered by Cycling Ireland with support from the Road Safety Authority, the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.
The Cycle Right programme caters for primary school children from 4th to 6th class age groups. Training takes place in the classroom, school yard and also an on-road component over a period of 8 hours.
The course content involves bicycle and road skills training, mixed with theoretical and Rules of the Road instruction.
Course Content :
- Theory 1: What keeps you safe when cycling including awareness of surroundings and speed control
- Theory 2: Rules of the road; rights of way, signs, road marking, infrastructure, overtaking, junctions & roundabouts, blind zones for large vehicles.
- 4 Checks before cycling: clothes, helmet, bike & conditions.
- Pedalling, Braking, Balance and Cornering
- Awareness of surrounding: Looking all around and listening
- Positioning and group cycling / sharing the road
- Junctions: T junction, Left and Right major to minor
- Road simulation in yard including junctions
- Games / skills practice
- On Road trainer lead guided cycles, giving experience of all techniques practiced in the yard and covered in the theory sessions.
Well maintained bikes, helmets and high vis vests are provided by Crank & Cog for your convenience as well as teaching and instructional material.
On completion, each cyclist will know how to check their bike is roadworthy; how to control their bike; how to interact with other road users; understand the rules of the road pertaining to cyclists; and have practical experience of cycling in a variety of real environments.
Trainees will be observed throughout all stages of training to ensure correct skills are being developed through a step by step progression.
One of the main reasons I myself cycle is because it is fun! I feel it is important that the kids who take part in the training have fun and enjoy taking part!
High quality training from fully qualified and accredited instructors will develop competent and confident cyclists who have the skills to safely manage all road traffic conditions.
Contact us for dates, costs, funding opportunities and more at firstname.lastname@example.org